Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Reflections: Ron Hirschi

It is so good to be home, but I return feeling even more responsibility than ever before. I carry my laptop around and have done many impromptu slide shows at the Post Office, grocery store and up at Marty's print shop too. Then too, I have been sending off the postcards to kids, Postcards from Papa that many of you participants kindly replied to. It was the set of questions from kids that really sent me on this journey and I feel a special bond with young Evelyn who wrote the most difficult of questions, one we all need to find answers to.

I want to share this with all of you.........the last morning at Midway, I looked closely at a handful of sand at my study site, a place where I had come each morning to collect data on visible chunks of plastic (lighters, toys, bottle caps, and assorted debris)..... I was admiring the beautiful white coral pieces chomped by uhu and wrasse. Mixed in the beauty were tiny bits of red, blue, and lavender. The ocean's plastics have, sadly, gone micro to add their toxins to food webs other than those of the Albatross. So I got back in touch with John Klavitter, biologist on Sand Island and posted a note on Scuttlebutt, asking for sand samples. Already, people from around the world are sending me sand so that we can collaborate on a new project, Serious Sand. Sinister Sand. John told me that plastic absorbs PCBs and other toxins and so I am diving into the current research into how the fragments of plastic work their way into the food of fish, seals, and whales. Tonight as I walked the beach here on Marrowstone Island, I picked up yet another stream of plastic debris now destined for recycling. We can all do these endless beach cleanups but it is for sure, time to go to the sources to find solutions. Aloha nui loa, Ron Hirschi. www.ronhirschi.com

photo credit: Ron Hirschi

No comments:

Post a Comment