Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Introductions: Al Braun

Aloha kakou, My name is Al Braun, and I am a flight nurse and paramedic with Hawaii Life Flight (formerly Hawaii Air Ambulance). My wife, Tara, our daughter, Anna, and I live in Hilo, and I work in Kona. I am a former firefighter and US Navy veteran. I was born and raised here, but I have traveled extensively, and I returned home to the land of my kupuna to use my talents and abilities to care for Hawaii and its people. As a surfer and a hunter, I have been involved in conservation my entire life, but the birth of our daughter in 2007 made the importance of preserving our aina suddenly much more crucial. I am not an educator by trade, but education is part of my occupation and part of my personality. I am humbled to have been selected, and to be part of such an incredible group. I hope to incorporate the knowledge from the Papahanaumokuakea Ahahui Alakai in the development of a land lab experience to educate Hawaii's residents on the connections between our culture and environment. I look forward to meeting and learning with all of you.Malama pono,Al Braun, RN BSN EMT-P

1 comment:

  1. Hi Al, I knew you when you lived on Oahu as a youngster and I was so excited to hear about this program and you're involvement in it. Please share your experiences so that we may all be more aware. B. Kaneshiro

    ReplyDelete