Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reflections: Anne Rosa

The participants of the PA'A program call many areas their home. The strength of this group was making ties between the kupuna islands and each of our homes. My way of bringing my experiences in Papahānaumokuākea home are to talk about the “two oceans” that I swim in. One is in our younger Hawaiian Islands at Hanauma, and one is in our Kupuna islands at Pihemanu(Midway).

Aloha ke kai o Pihemanu
Aloha ke kai o Hanauma

Noho nā kūpuna i ke kai o Pihemanu

Noho nā keiki i ke kai o Hanauma

The keiki travels to meet the Kupuna

Honi kaua, a greeting is exchanged

Piha me ka mahalo, filled with grattitude

Nunui nā i'a kupuna o Pihemanu

Pehea ho'i nā i'a kupuna ia Hawai'i?

Piha na manu i ke kai o Pihemanu
Pehea ho'i na manu i ke kai o Hanauma?
A pehea ka make 'opala?

A pehea ka huli aniau?
Ke ho'i au me ka hana nui

Ke ho'i au me ke aloha nui

Aloha nā kai o nā keiki

Aloha nā kai o nā kūpuna

Papahānaumokuākea is a conservation area where fewer people go, Hanauma is a conservation area where many people go. I talk about my love for both places. I compare Hanauma and the younger Hawaiian islands at the place of the young, the keiki, and Papahānaumokuākea as the place of the kūpuna, the elders. I traveled to the place of the kūpuna. I was humbled by this place and greatful to be there. I was inspired by the return of life to Midway, how the marine life can thrive, how the birds have come back. Seeing the abundance of bird life at Midway made me wonder if more seabirds could return to Hanauma. Hanauma is a good place for the keiki, the young marine life are sheltered here. There is a challenge for us to have more protection throughout our Hawaiian waters so that we don't loose too many of the i'a kupuna, the large old fish that help to keep the stocks going. Other challenges come in the form of global problems like climate change and marine debris. How do we avoid death by plastic? How can we lessen our contribution to climate change? As an educator at a marine protected area my role is to share information with people on how they can help to make a difference and protect these special places in the ocean. I return from this journey with new energy, knowledge and inspiration to do my part.

photo credits: Anne Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment