Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reflections: Meghan Marrero

The morning after arriving home in New York, I woke to the sounds of bird chirping. I’m sure they do that every morning, but I don’t think I had noticed before—birds just weren’t my thing. Hearing the feathered friends outside my apartment transported me back to Midway, where I had fallen in love with the thousands of albatross chicks within sight of my window at Charlie Barracks, and the little pairs of highly endangered Laysan ducks waddling by.

My experience at Midway will not easily be forgotten. I even have my own battle scar—12 stitches will leave a mark! I learned so much in so many different areas including science, history, and culture. Who knew that short-tailed albatross flirt with decoys, or that an ecosystem can be dominated by apex predators? I fell in love with the albatross chicks as I got to know those that sat in the way of my daily travels, the first time in my memory that I have demonstrated even a remote interest in birds. I profoundly appreciated the presence of so much World War II history, and imagined the young men who sat in the middle of the Pacific, understanding the gravity of their mission while shaking in their boots and hearing terns and bombs shriek overhead. I also felt the tug of the spiritual and cultural connection. Understanding the importance of the kupuna islands makes Midway even more special.

As PAA participants, it is our kuleana to remember this place, to reflect on our journey, and to pay it forward so that the lessons of Midway will be far-reaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment