Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Introduction: Marion Ano

Aloha e nā hoa,

‘O au nō, Marion Ano. Welina mai iā kākou! I hope this message reaches all of you in good spirits. I can’t believe we are a week away from our trip to Midway Atoll. I look forward to meeting each of you in person this coming weekend. I know this lifetime opportunity to travel to Midway with all of you will deepen my knowledge and aloha for the ocean. Furthermore, this experience will strengthen my ability to advocate for the protection and rightful use of this amazing life-sustaining resource.
For me the ocean has been a great teacher and I’m continually humbled by its vastness, power, and greatness. It saddens me that our oceans have been incredibly depleted of its resources and polluted by humans. I look forward to discussing these issues with each of you and hopefully we can develop solutions to solve some of the challenges and problems we face.
In my current work, I am an intern at NOAA’s Pacific Services Center. As a geospatial processor, I’m working towards creating data visualizations or interactive visuals that utilize NOAA’s scientific data to help students, teachers, and the others understand the different processes, impacts, and dynamics that are occurring on a global, national, and local levels.
Mahalo for this opportunity! See you all soon!

Ke aloha no,Marion

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marion, As Sandy said I am you biggest fan.
    I'll try not to sound too much like a crazy person. The following was written by me several years ago. I spent a year at that faraway place.
    At that time there was little or no pollution from the outside world.
    Midway 1968; I discovered the place that would be the healer, possessor of my heart and mind. My first sight was that of astonishment at the pristine waters and unspoiled white sand beaches. From the beginnings as one growing up in North Texas, I’d never seen such a vision.

    Enjoy you visit. The days will go very quick.
    The best place on the island is on the NW beach at sundown. The evening sun will shine through the breakers at the barrier.
    Joe B

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking for Marion Ano, please give her my info.
    Mahalo,
    Mary Dyer
    360-630-7557

    ReplyDelete