Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Introductions: Anne Rosa

A young student steps up to the microphone and starts reciting a vivid, descriptive poem about Papahānaumokuākea. Students sing songs celebrating the wahi pana of their home. Students express their desire to mālama their home. The inspiration that Papahānaumokuākea can provide to people to appreciate and conserve our ocean is valuable. This year, I worked with students participating in the Navigating Change curriculum program. Seeing how much the students get out of this type of learning makes me look forward even more to my trip to Midway.

I hope to make learning connections between Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, and marine reserves in the main Hawaiian islands such as Hanauma Bay. I would like to make connections with other educators interested in marine conservation. I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge of the Northwest Hawaiian Islands, and share what I learn with my community. I would like to learn more about my cultural heritage as it relates to the Northwest Hawaiian Islands.

I would like to create a project that draws from my personal experiences and learning, and that uses multimedia and my song writing skills to teach and inspire others and promote conservation. As an educator at the Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, I have contact with many school and community groups that come to learn about marine conservation. I also help to train community volunteers that communicate conservation messages to the general public. I would like to be able to offer presentations to, and share my project with community members that attend the outreach presentations at Hanauma Bay, school groups coming to the bay, as well as Hanauma Bay volunteers. I would also like to share my project with the members of my community that participate with Malama Maunalua. A much larger audience could potentially be reached with a hawaiian song written for Papahānaumokuākea.

No comments:

Post a Comment