Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Introductions: Miriam Sutton

May 12, 2009 – I paddled my kayak through the estuary this afternoon and observed the multitude of shore birds that raise their young along the protected sand spits, barrier islands, and salt marshes. I savored every moment in the waning sunset and wondered how my little corner of the world might compare with the protected ecosystem of Midway Atoll. I am but a mere month away from a summer adventure that will allow me to explore cultures, geology, and species I have never experienced. The anticipation quickened my paddle stroke and I calmed my excitement with a deep breath as I allowed my kayak to glide over a tidal flat. The Rachel Carson Estuarine Research Reserve is awe-inspiring. The estuary is also surrounded by anticipated development, currently being suppressed by a waning economy. My travels to Hawaii and Midway will immerse me into the Papahanaumokuakea culture and allow me to absorb the conservation strategies being implemented to preserve the pristine habitats of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. I hope to translate these successful conservation methods through awe-inspiring education and outreach projects that will foster the protection of our estuary reserve as development in our region continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment