Welcome to the PAA Blog

Papahānaumokuākea 'Ahahui Alaka'i (PAA) is a ten-day experiential leadership program that brings together teachers, business people, policy-makers as well as potential community leaders interested in learning and being inspired by science and traditional knowledge management practices. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument encompasses roughly 140,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean, an area larger than all the country's national parks combined. The area around the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands is an important safe haven for wildlife such as the threatened green turtle and the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. ‘Ahahui refers to society, club or association. Alaka’i is Hawaiian for ambassador or leader. The Hawaiian word /acronym PAA means steadfast, learned, determined, strong, to hold, keep, retain.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Introductions: Jeff Manker

My goal for my time in Hawaii and on Midway Island is to gain a better understanding of the link that albatrosses and other seabirds make between Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument (PMNM) and the coast of California where I live. I want to observe and record in a variety of formats (writing, video and voice recordings) my observations of the details of their lives and the effects that far-off coastal communities may be having on their lives.

My intention when I return is to change the behavior of my community members. To do this I plan on using newspaper articles, radio broadcasts and video to communicate a few simple actions that the average person can do to reverse the negative effects of our littering and the fishing practices that we support.

First, I want to make my students and my community at large aware of the struggle these incredible creatures go through just to survive where they do. Second, I want the people on my side of the Pacific Rim to see how our careless or simply ignorant actions create difficulties for the birds and other creatures of the far –flung islands of the Monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment